Many people today suffer from heart problems, such as high blood pressure or heart disease, or lung problems,
such as asthma. Living with one of these health concerns does not mean that you must give up your gardening hobby. On the contrary,
gardening can be an excellent source of exercise. By being cautious and following a few guidelines,
people suffering from these problems can easily reap the benefits of gardening.
- Work slowly, don't overdo it.
- Warm up with some light stretching before beginning to garden.
- Avoid reaching for things, as this expends a lot of energy.
- Whenever possible, sit down to work.
- Avoid heavy lifting of objects.
- Try to work in the cooler parts of the day during the hot summer months, this means early in the morning or late in the afternoon.
- Whenever possible, use tools that require you to exert less energy.
- Keep tools and watering items as close to the garden as possible.
- If you suffer from asthma or sever allergies, pay attention to the allergen counts and try to stay inside on days they are high.